Edmontonians are undoubtedly proud of their city. A vibrant place to live, work and play, the provincial capital’s culture and natural beauty are treasured by residents. City officials also take steps to ensure residents feel safe when out and about in its parks, using its recreational facilities, and on its streets and sidewalks. Yet accidents can and do happen – and when they do, Edmonton accident victims need a strong advocate in their corner.
Litco Law has helped people who have sustained serious personal injuries in Alberta for over 40 years. Our team of trusted, experienced and highly capable lawyers can be counted on to help see you through these challenging times.
What Should I Do Immediately Following An Accident?
Your first priority must always be your health and safety. Ensure the scene of the accident is secure so that neither you nor anyone else suffers any additional injury. Call for medical help. Even if you don’t believe you’re seriously hurt, non-visible trauma or a state of shock may disguise serious or life-threatening injuries.
Remember that you should not make any important decisions until you’ve had time to rest and assess the situation calmly. This means never assuming responsibility for the accident or signing any statements regarding who is at fault. Focus on gathering evidence, including the names of other people involved in the accident or witnesses and take photos or videos of the scene if possible.
What Should I Do Once I’ve Left The Scene Of My Accident?
Your first call following a serious accident should be to a Personal Injury lawyer. These experts can answer questions about next steps and offer advice about how to deal with insurance claims representatives and begin plans for treatments and assessments. At Litco Law, you can be sure that when you contact us following an accident we will take the time to walk you through these steps with compassion, understanding that you are likely to be overwhelmed by everything that has happened.
What Types Of Accidents & Injuries Do Litco Law Help With?
Litco Law Edmonton accident lawyers deal with cases involving:
- car accidents: whether it’s a single or multi-car collision on city streets, country roads, highways or on private property, we’ll investigate the circumstances behind the accident and ensure you are well prepared to claim any benefits or damages you are entitled to.
- trucking accidents: accidents involving larger commercial vehicles (transport trucks, buses, heavy equipment) can be especially damaging to pedestrians or occupants of smaller vehicles, but drivers of these vehicles who are injured and require benefits may need legal help to figure out the added complication of Workers’ Compensation Benefits (WCB).
- motorcycle accidents: unlike drivers or occupants of cars or trucks, motorcyclists’ can often be thrown from or fall from a vehicle, causing significant soft tissue and nerve damage. Detailing complex injuries from these accidents necessitates knowledgeable lawyers with established connections to medical specialists.
- bicycle, E-bike and E-scooter accidents: riders of these vehicles share the road with heavy vehicle traffic. They are bound by the same rules of the road, but have significantly more exposure to serious injury in an accident.
- pedestrian accidents: some of the most serious personal injuries we see come from pedestrians who have been hit while crossing a street, walking along the road or even while on sidewalks. Even if they don’t have motor vehicle insurance, pedestrians involved in an accident with a motor vehicle still qualify for insurance benefits and compensation for their injuries.
- hit and run accidents: having a driver leave the scene of the accident only adds insult to injury. If your accident involved an unidentified and/or uninsured driver, our lawyers can still seek benefits and compensation from the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund.
- Uber and Lyft accidents: if you’re involved in an accident involving drivers working for ride-sharing companies, you are covered by their commercial insurance during your trip. However, there are sometimes complexities and technicalities in these cases where an experienced lawyer can be especially helpful.
- ATV accidents: all-terrain vehicle adventures can be a lot of fun, but occasionally they do result in accidents and/or injuries. Insurance policies for people injured in these on- or off-road accidents can be confusing and you could benefit from expert legal advice.
- car rental accidents: if you have rented or leased a car there may be overlapping insurance policies. If a dispute arises between insurers over priority that is causing delays in your benefits, we can help.
- boating and watercraft accidents: watersports accidents and injuries can occur due to a variety of causes (driver negligence, mechanical defect, etc). We can help manage your insurance claim and determine if another person is liable for injuries you’ve sustained.
- slip, trip and falls: these injuries can take place in many different places (public spaces or in private dwellings or establishments) and in many different contexts. A knowledgeable accident lawyer will explain the timelines and steps you need to take to ensure your claim is viable.
- recreational/sports injuries: even if you signed a waiver prior to participating in an activity that absolves a company or person from liability in the event of an injury, there may still be ways to dispute it and make a claim.
- traumatic brain injuries: TBIs sustained in accidents can impact every aspect of your life and require significant funds to support treatment and cover losses of future income or support obligations. Experienced lawyers can ensure medical specialists are booked to assess the full extent of your brain injury and how it is likely to affect your long-term prospects.
- spinal cord injuries: severe spinal cord injuries can lead to loss of mobility, paralysis and excruciating pain from nerve damage. Our accident lawyers can help manage your physiotherapy and rehabilitation appointments while ensuring medical experts accurately describe how permanent injuries could affect your quality of life.
- long-term disability due to an accident: a significant injury may prevent you from ever returning to your previous job, or perhaps any job from which you are qualified. Insurance companies may dispute the extent of your disability and deny your claim. Personal Injury lawyers can build a case to demonstrate that your debilitating injuries qualify you for these benefits.
How Can Litco Law Accident Lawyers Help You?
When you contact one of our Edmonton accident lawyers for a free consultation, we will listen to your story with compassion and explain your legal options in a clear way that’s easy to understand.
If you decide to pursue your case with us, we will book appointments with specialists to properly assess your injuries and future needs, help facilitate your rehabilitation and treatments, and work towards obtaining a settlement or award that fairly compensates you for your losses.
We work on a contingency basis, so you will not pay out of pocket for our service – we only get paid if we’re successful in helping you reach a settlement.
What Resources Are Available Following An Accident?
There are two main paths to accessing funds to help you rehabilitate and recover from your injuries and to compensate you for your losses.
First, personal private health insurance policies or policies provided through your employer may provide benefits for medical treatment, lost income replacement and other expenses you incur during your recovery. Automobile accident victims may also be eligible for no-fault Section B benefits.
Second, if another person is partially or fully at fault for the accident that hurt you, you may be able to file a claim to compensate you for losses and for punitive damages. An experienced Personal Injury lawyer can explain and guide you through the litigation process.
Let Us Be Your Guides Through The Litigation Process
If you have never filed a claim before, you might feel nervous about all that’s involved or confused about each of the steps along the way. Litco Law’s Edmonton accident lawyers understand you will likely have many questions and concerns. Rest assured that we will always take the time to explain what needs to be done and why so that you know that you are a full participant in the process.
After conducting our own investigation into your accident and preparing evidence for your case, we will file a claim with the court. This claim outlines the circumstances behind the accident, the extent of your losses and proposes remedies to the court.
This fact-finding process can take time, and even once it’s completed scheduling a trial date in Edmonton courts can take approximately 2 years. Therefore, often the parties involved will negotiate a mutually agreeable settlement, sometimes in a formal mediation session. In fact, the vast majority of Personal Injury cases settle prior to judgement. However, Litco Law cases are always designed to be court-ready so that you will never feel pressured to settle for less than what you deserve.
Reputation You Can Count On
In addition to receiving positive reviews from our clients, Litco Law accident lawyers have been recognized by our peers and the public at large for our expert knowledge, dedication, and company culture.
Canadian Lawyer Magazine has named Litco Law as one of the country’s Top 10 Personal Injury boutique firms two years in a row https://www.canadianlawyermag.com/surveys-reports/boutique-firm-rankings/evolving-with-clients-part-2/270480. We recognize that in addition to being a testament to our highly capable Personal Injury lawyers, this honour is also due in large part to our amazing team. We strive to create a company culture which promotes a positive work environment and employee pride. This commitment has led us to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers by Mediacorp Canada Inc.
As Alberta’s best-known personal injury firm, we value our past successes, but always have our eye on the future. Rest assured, we will continue to strive for excellence in all that we do.
Resources for Accident Victims
For more information on our firm and resource guides for accident victims, please visit these links:
- Alberta Automobile Injury Law Handbook
- Straight Talk – A Plain Language Guide To Personal Injury Claims
- No Fees, No Costs To Proceed – We Don’t Get Paid Until You Get Paid | Litco Law
- We’re Here For You During The COVID-19 Crisis
- Litco Law Blog
Accidents happen in the blink of an eye, but the road to recovery can often be very long, lonely and uncertain. Litco Law Edmonton accident lawyers are ready to walk beside you on this journey and help in any way we can, every step of the way.
Looking for an Accident Lawyer in Edmonton? Contact Us.
We service the Edmonton and surrounding area, including the Parkland, Leduc, Strathcona, Sturgeon Counties. When you need an Accident Lawyer in Edmonton, think Litco Law Personal Injury Lawyers.