Alberta is known for expansive stretches of highway bordered by stunning prairies and Rocky Mountains. Not surprisingly, thousands of motorcycle riders take to these roads during the summer months. In the city, many riders also enjoy the convenience of a bike over a large vehicle. The ability to park in tight spaces and save on gas money makes motorcycles attractive choices for commuting. Whether cruiser or chopper, touring or sport, or even moped or scooter, Albertans love the thrill and joy of life on two wheels.
Unfortunately, accidents do happen and even the most cautious motorcycle riders can be involved in an accident that results in serious injury. Cruising on the open road can be exhilarating one moment and catastrophic the next. In a split second, your life can change forever. Motorcyclists know that other drivers often don’t watch for or see them; bikes get easily lost in blind spots, and it’s harder for drivers to judge how far away an oncoming motorcycle is compared to a larger vehicle like a car. Bikers are also simply more vulnerable. They do not have the physical protection of a large metal frame or airbags against the impact of other vehicles or the open road. As a result, even an accident that might normally constitute a minor fender bender between two vehicles can result in serious injury or even death when a bike is involved. Lack of protection against the open road, coupled with additional driving hazards, can have catastrophic results.
Data shows that motorcycle riders are 3.4 times as likely to be injured or die than other motor vehicle drivers . Because of the severity of motorcycle accidents, injuries often require specialized medical care and can result in long-term disability for the rider; that’s where we come in to help. We have represented injured Alberta motorcyclists for over 4 decades, and we understand the complexities and nuances of bike injury claims.
If you were injured in a bike accident that was not your fault, or even partially your fault, you deserve fair compensation for your injuries. We’ll ensure you get the maximum compensation for your injuries, access to the benefits you are entitled to, and access to any other supports you might be eligible for. At Litco Law, we know motorcycle accidents and we will leave no stone unturned to ensure you get fair compensation.
Having an experienced bike accident lawyer on your side can be particularly helpful when:
I’ve heard that bike accident claims are complicated. Is this true?
- It is difficult to establish fault(this is an especially common issue in bike accidents, but more on that later);
- The driver of the other vehicle claims the motorcycle was not visible or speeding;
- The insurance company of the person who injured you is arguing that your protective gear was insufficient;
- Additional investigation is needed to further analyze or gather evidence after the fact; or
- The insurance company of the at-fault party is making a low settlement offer (they always do).
Yes and no. The most important distinction is the fact that bike accident claims are different from auto-on-auto claims. And while they do tend to be more complicated and generally require more expertise than a standard MVA claim, some bike accident cases may be relatively straightforward. The degree of complexity really comes down to the particulars of your case.
The best way to ensure your case is handled effectively – and ensure that your settlement is fair – is to enlist the services of a law firm with extensive motorcycle claims experience. To learn more, here are just a few of the reasons why a bike accident claim might be more complex:
- Injuries resulting from a bike accident tend to be more serious and, thereby, more difficult and expensive to treat than injuries sustained in a car accident. Serious injuries can also have a life-long impact on your quality of life; you deserve to be compensated for this. Insurance companies want to pay less, not more, and they will fight hard to settle low. This increases the complexity of the case.
- Unfair and often inaccurate perceptions that bikers speed excessively and fail to follow the rules of the road can be a disadvantage for motorcycle riders. In other words, insurance companies, witnesses, and other drivers involved may be more likely to place blame on the individual riding the motorcycle due to their own negative bias. This, of course, is completely unfair and unwarranted. An experienced bike accident lawyer will be able to use their knowledge and resources to counteract anti-motorcyclist bias, and ensure the negligent party is brought to justice.
- In motorcycle accidents, things may come into play that might not in a car accident, such as whether there was gravel on the road, what the weather was like, or what the motorcyclist was wearing.
These are just a few examples of reasons why a bike accident claim might be more complex. To get the compensation you need and deserve, you need an experienced bike accident lawyer working for you.