Want to have a safe drive this season? Check these “to-dos” off your list to help you avoid accidents and needing a car accident lawyer:
- Make sure that your air conditioning, heater, and defroster are working properly; you’re going to need them. By running your A/C and heat at the same time, you can speed defrosting by reducing humidity in your car. And remember, after starting your vehicle, wait for the fog to clear from the interior of the windows before you put your car into drive.
- Check your battery. Cold weather makes it tougher for your battery to get your engine running, so have it tested and make sure there’s enough energy to keep you going all winter long.
- Replace your wiper blades. Even if your wipers are in decent condition, as injury lawyers we suggest swapping them with heavier, winter-specific ones that will wipe away ice and snow more easily.
- Top up your windshield washer fluid with a de-icing formula. Regular washer fluid can freeze in its tank or on your windshield on a chilly day. Pick up a winter-formulated windshield washer fluid instead, and for bonus safety points always keep an extra bottle in your trunk. Don’t let slush, sand, salt, and snow ruin your visibility!
- Make sure your brake pads are in good shape and top up your brake fluid. Also leave an extra car-length or two between your car and the one in front of you. Most car accidents in the winter are caused by braking late.
- Install winter tires. Winter tires are designed to stay flexible even in extreme weather, so you get a better grip on slippery streets. Installing winter tires may also qualify you for a discount on car insurance and could save you an accident claim.
- Lastly, 4 words. Winter Driving Emergency Kit. No matter how carefully you drive, a snowy street can have a mind of its own, and you may find yourself needing to wait out a storm in your vehicle. Stay safe and warm. You can order one online or pick one up, ready-made, from your favourite hardware store.