Following an accident, you may be faced with loss of ability to work, loss of a vehicle, plus endless paperwork and insurance companies to deal with – all while trying to recover from your injuries. These are headaches that you haven’t asked for and don’t deserve; that’s where we come in. Let us take care of the paperwork and the legal work, so you can take care of what matters most: yourself, your loved ones, and your health. If you were in an accident there may be grounds for a claim, accident benefits you may be entitled to, and supports for you or your family during this difficult time.
At Litwiniuk & Company it won’t cost you anything to talk to one of our experienced Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) lawyers, and you won’t have to pay us any fees until we win your claim. We’ll even cover the costs of collecting the evidence needed while handling your lawsuit, and recover those costs when your claim is resolved.
Injured in a Motor Vehicle accident? Here’s what you need to know.
- The first and most important thing is your health – get medical treatment right away and follow the advice of your doctor and other medical specialists that are part of your recovery. Not only will these treatment providers get you back on the road to better health, they also write reports and take notes on your injuries which may be important in getting you the compensation you deserve. And even if you feel fine after an accident, get assessed by a professional right away – go see your family doctor. Don’t have a family doctor? Find one here. It may take a few hours or days to notice injuries, and internal injuries especially can go unnoticed. The longer you wait to see your doctor, the more difficult it can be to prove that your injuries are a direct result of the accident. Delaying treatment can also allow the insurance company of the person who injured you to suggest that your injuries weren’t that serious or painful.
- Collecting information and gathering evidence – the standard protocol for a minor fender bender usually includes the exchange of contact and insurance information between drivers, taking photographs, talking to eyewitnesses, and filing a police report. If you weren’t able to gather this information at the time of the accident, that’s okay too. It is common for accident victims to be injured or in shock at the scene and unable to gather this information. The good news is that experienced Motor Vehicle Accident injury lawyers are experts at gathering information after the fact, and you can still make an injury claim. The sooner you talk to an experienced Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer, the better. From a practical standpoint, it is a lot easier to gather evidence and locate witnesses in the days and weeks following an accident, while memories are still clear. The Government of Alberta website has a Collision Worksheet Form that you can download and view on your phone or print and put in your car. It’s a great resource to help you know the types of information you need to gather at the scene.
- Contact YOUR insurance company – it is important to get in touch with your insurer right away to report the collision and access any benefits you are entitled to, regardless of who is at fault. There are important deadlines that, if missed, may allow your insurance company to deny you certain benefits. Be aware that the at-fault driver’s insurance company will also likely contact you in the hopes of settling the claim quickly and for the lowest amount possible; you are under no obligation to speak to them right away. Prior to talking with anyone from the insurance company of the person who injured you, especially their insurance adjusters, contact a personal injury lawyer to find out exactly what you are entitled to receive for compensation. If you have a friend who is a lawyer, or you’ve got another lawyer you’ve used in the past such as a real estate or corporate lawyer, it is important to note that they may not have experience with personal injury claims or Motor Vehicle Accidents. Make sure you choose a lawyer who understands how Motor Vehicle Accident Injury claims really work. At Litwiniuk & Company, it won’t cost a thing to speak with a lawyer. And if you choose to pursue a claim, our fees are a percentage of your compensation and we’ll cover all the costs of collecting evidence until your case is resolved, meaning we don’t get paid unless and until you get paid. If we don’t recover money for you, you won’t owe us anything. Even if you don’t make a claim, by speaking with a Motor Vehicle Accident lawyer you may discover that you are legally entitled to accident benefits and compensation for lost wages, medical bills, physical therapy, loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, or disability.
What NOT to do immediately following an accident…
- Do not take responsibility for the accident, assume that you are liable, or sign any statements regarding who is at fault.
- Do not pay, or make any promises to pay, for vehicle damages at the scene of the collision.
- Do not agree to “let the accident go”. Even in a minor accident, you may be in some shock and your adrenaline is likely running high, meaning you might not even be aware of your injuries. Although you may feel “okay” at the time, physical injuries are often not felt until later. And similarly, although your vehicle might “look fine” there could be damage to your vehicle that is not be externally visible.
- Do not accept money from the driver or discuss settlement.
What type of compensation is available? What are Section B Benefits?
In Alberta, all vehicle insurance policies offer no-fault Section B Benefits, regardless of who was at fault, provided that the driver of the car had valid Alberta insurance. Put simply, if you have been hit by another vehicle and you were injured, you are entitled to have a portion of your medical treatments paid for as well as expenses related to disability and death, if applicable. The ultimate limit of Section B coverage for medical treatment in Alberta is $50,000 per person and you must notify the Section B insurance company within 30 days of the accident to qualify. IMPORTANT: if 30 days have passed, we may still be able to help you access these benefits; call us now for more information. The sooner you access Section B benefits, the sooner you get back on the road to better health. You can download Section B forms here. Section B Benefits are complex and confusing, so much so that even insurance adjusters at times misunderstand or misapply the law. If you need help filling out the forms, or if you have questions about Section B benefits, please call or email us, and our team will be happy to help you.
What if the driver fled the scene or was uninsured?
If you were struck by a vehicle and the driver fled the scene, you may feel frustrated and angry. You may also be wondering if it’s even possible to make a claim to get compensation for your injuries. If so, contacting Personal Injury lawyer right away can make all the difference as there are important deadlines for accident claims. In the case of a hit-and-run accident, it can be more difficult to gather evidence as time goes on; the sooner a case is opened, the better the chance there is of locating the responsible party. An experienced Motor Vehicle Accident lawyer may still be able to get you coverage under Section B benefits through a different route. If the at-fault driver has not been identified or does not have insurance, you may still be able to apply for compensation through Alberta’s Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program, or MVAC. Our Calgary Motor Vehicle Accident lawyers know the complexities of dealing with hit and run accidents and uninsured drivers; if there’s a way to get you compensation for your injuries, we will find it. At Litwiniuk & Company, we will do everything we can to find the driver responsible. We will pursue legal action on your behalf and file a claim for your injuries; call or email us for help and details.
What is my accident claim worth?
Rule #1. Do NOT accept a settlement offer or sign any documents before you speak to an experienced Motor Vehicle Accident lawyer.
Rule #2: Do NOT settle your claim before you have the right medical treatment providers assess the possible long-term effects of your injuries.
In the days and weeks following an accident, you may be contacted by the at-fault party’s insurance company and asked to sign various releases or liability documents. Always speak to a Motor Vehicle Accident lawyer before you sign anything. Although you might feel pressured by insurance adjusters, you are under no obligation to sign anything. Insurance companies are often quick to offer settlements to Motor Vehicle Accident victims in the hopes of:
- Resolving your claim quickly for the lowest amount possible,
- Getting you to agree to a settlement before you decide to consult a lawyer and realize the full amount you are entitled to, or
- Before you realize the full extent of your injuries and possible long-term implications from the accident.
To have a clear and accurate understanding of the compensation you are entitled to, talk to an experienced Motor Vehicle Accident lawyer. There are several factors that will determine the value of your claim. A personal injury lawyer will take the specifics of your claim into consideration based on the severity of your injuries, how they impact your daily life and ability to work, and more. At Litwiniuk & Company, we will pursue the maximum compensation for your claim. Worried about legal fees? It won’t cost you a thing to hire our Calgary Motor Vehicle Accident lawyers because we don’t get paid until you get paid.
In nearly all cases, Alberta legislation for limitations on Personal Injury Claims gives you up to two years from the date of an accident to make a claim, or your right to claim is lost forever. But that does not mean you should wait. It’s important to act quickly, as there may be other important deadlines or circumstances that could affect your claim. And there are certain narrow exceptions to this limitation deadline. If you have any questions, call or email us to set up a free consultation with one of our Motor Vehicle Accident lawyers today.
Our Calgary Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers Are Here for You.
We realize that a single article cannot possibly cover all the ins-and-outs of car accident claims in Alberta, but we hope reading this has given you some useful information. It’s always best to seek personalized legal advice from an experienced Motor Vehicle Accident lawyer. And you can speak to one absolutely free by calling or emailing us today. As Alberta’s Personal Injury law firm for over 44 years, voted Calgary’s Top Choice Personal Injury Law Firm by our clients for six years running, we have an outstanding track record of bringing negligent drivers to justice and getting injured Albertans the compensation they deserve. You aren’t alone in this. We have a team that truly cares and understands. If there’s anything we can do to make your life a little (or a lot) easier, we’ll do it.
Our Calgary Motor Vehicle Accident lawyers are experienced in representing clients with all types of injuries including the very severe and life-altering injuries that may occur in an automobile accident. We have represented injured drivers and passengers, as well as the families of those who have suffered fatal injuries, in Calgary and throughout Alberta since 1976.
Let our firm work to get you the maximum compensation for your claim and ensure you get the benefits and treatment you’re entitled to. We handle the insurance companies and the law, while you focus on getting back to a normal life. If you are looking for a Motor Vehicle Accident lawyer in Calgary contact Litwiniuk & Company today for a free consultation and get an experienced Motor Vehicle Accident Injury lawyer on your side.