If you have recently been injured in an accident, the days and weeks that follow can be confusing and stressful. You’ve likely had to fill out police reports and insurance forms, make statements, visit the doctor, and book endless appointments. A lot of people go into their first appointment with a Personal Injury law firm feeling uneasy. But a good lawyer should reduce your stress, not add to it. If you are feeling unsure of how to prepare or what questions to ask, we got you.
- What percentage of your practice is in this area of law?
- Don’t be afraid to ask this question upfront. It’s vitally important to choose a lawyer who practices Personal Injury law. There are so many intricacies to injury law and it really takes someone who knows this area of law inside and out to get you the compensation you deserve. You owe it to yourself to receive the best representation.
- How will I know what is happening with my case?
- Lawyers are busy. So are doctors, mechanics, dentists, servers… you get the idea. If a law firm agrees to take on a client, they should have the capacity to stay in regular contact with that client and keep them informed on their case. It may be that a legal assistant is your main point of contact and that’s fine, as long as they answer all your questions (through your lawyer) and keep you up to date. At Litco Law, you get an entire team dedicated to your case. We’ll always keep you in the loop and reach out to you every 30 days or less, so many of your questions are answered before you even think to ask.
- How much will this cost?
- Does the lawyer work on a contingency fee basis and is it “tiered”? Typically, injury lawyers work on a contingency basis which means that you won’t have to pay the legal fees until your claim is settled. Some lawyers use a “tiered” contingency fee agreement approach. In other words, the percentage fee that they charge increases as you reach certain steps in your claim. At Litco Law, we have a fixed percentage so there aren’t any surprises and we’ll also cover the up-front costs of your disbursements. Personal Injury lawyers have different practices around charging for disbursements, so be sure to ask.
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of my case?
- What is the likelihood of getting a desirable outcome? Based on the information you bring to the initial meeting, the legal team should be able to speak candidly about the potential strengths and weaknesses of your case. It may be that they need more information beyond what was brought to the consult, but this should be a frank discussion. While a lawyer can’t promise a specific outcome, in most cases they should be able to provide concrete reasons why they think your claim would be successful. At Litco Law, we’ll tell you if we think it isn’t in your best interest to pursue a claim.
- How long will it take to resolve this claim?
- This depends on various factors. The timeline for an injury case is usually dependent on your injuries and recovery. In order to get fair compensation for your injuries, we need to know the full extent of your injuries and how long they will impact your life. Some injures don’t appear right away and others take longer than expected to heal or have a greater impact on your future than you might have first expected. If a person settles before the long-term impact of their injuries is fully realized, they may not receive the compensation could be entitled to.
Don’t feel pressured into making a decision right away. Hiring an accident injury law firm is a very important decision that comes at what is already a very stressful time. Take your time to review the legal team’s answers to your questions before proceeding to next steps.
Have questions? At Litco Law, we’ll always provide free legal answers. The clock isn’t ticking. The meter isn’t running. Call us today or fill out our contact form online and we’ll reach out to you. You’ll always hear back from us within 24 hours or by the next business day.