Overview of the Role
The Pre-Litigation Legal Assistant manages new client files in the first phase of the life cycle of a client file. While each Pre-Litigation Legal Assistant is assigned their own file load, there is a heavy focus on teamwork, group learning, and collaboration. This role works with multiple Pre-Litigation Lawyers which provides an excellent learning opportunity. As the first line of contact for the client in the beginning stages of a claim, there is a large emphasis on client care.
Please note that this position will be based in our Britannia Crossing location.
How you would contribute to our team
- Ensure regular contact with the client to ensure they are kept informed every step of the way through the file
- Open, manage and maintain client files including obtaining necessary documentation
- Send various correspondence to treatment providers, insurance adjusters, and opposing counsel under the direction of a Pre-Litigation Lawyer
- Assist the client with setting up treatment, and coverage for treatment as required
- Obtain client updates regarding their health condition and to address any questions
- Assist with the movement of client files including tracking in the Case system
- Perform searches related but not limited to corporate registries, land titles, demographics, ownership, etc.
- Service of Statement of Claim
- Work collaboratively with the team to provide assistance and coverage on other client files as necessary
- Other additional administrative duties as required
What we are looking for
- Strong computer skills, including use of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat
- Prior experience in Proclaim, Time Matters, and/or PC Law is an asset
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, grammar, and spelling
- Must be aligned with the firm’s Core Purpose and Core Values
- Exceptional attention to detail with a high level of accuracy
- Must be open to change and continuous improvement
- Ability to build strong relationships internally and externally as well as handle sensitive client situations that require empathy, tact, and confidentiality
- Strong organization and planning skills
- Works efficiently & with integrity under pressure
- Desire to actively participate and contribute to maintaining a positive office culture
- Positive, cheerful and helpful attitude
- Fast learner with resourceful work ethic
- High level of professionalism, confidentiality and discretion
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- This position requires sitting, standing and walking throughout the day including filing
- This position requires the use of a computer throughout the day
Minimum Education and/or Experience:
- Completion of Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate from a recognized institute (SAIT preferred) or equivalent
- High School Diploma
- Experience in a professional office environment
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Strong knowledge of Alberta Rules of Court
- Experience in plaintiff litigation work
- Verbal/written second language skills outside of English
Anything else you might need to know:
The chosen candidate may be asked to undergo a criminal record check and a basic security clearance.
Please note that a final step in our hiring process is for candidates to arrange personal reference calls with former managers and others we may choose.
We wish to thank all qualified applicants for their interest in joining our winning team however only successful candidates will be contacted. Apply online.