Overview of the Role
You are organized. Your attention to detail is impeccable. You are one or two steps ahead of everyone else. You might work behind the scenes but your focus is entirely on our clients. The Litigation Legal Assistant is responsible for dealing with client files throughout the litigation phase. Although typically assigned to one lawyer, there is an expectation of collaboration and teamwork to provide the best service possible to the firm’s clients.
Please note that this position will be based in our Britannia Crossing location.
How you would contribute to our team
- Manage and maintain files in a logical and orderly manner including accurately documenting all data in the Case Management system
- Assist with the movement of client files including tracking in Case Management and Accounting systems
- Perform searches related but not limited to corporate registries, land titles, demographics, ownership, etc.
- Open, manage and maintain client files including obtaining necessary documentation
- Attend client meetings with Case Managers to swear/affirm and sign documents.
- On direction of lawyer/case manager, send various letters to medical practitioners, insurance adjusters and opposing counsel for bodily injury management
- Assist in the collection of evidence needed to advance the client’s claim
- Follow instructions from lawyer/ case manager and accurately transcribe dictation
- Draft or prepare court documents including but not limited to pleadings, affidavits of records, SOCs, legal briefs, etc.
- Manage schedule for assigned lawyer including booking travel, questionings, JDR, client meetings, etc. as necessary
- Schedule IMEs, other medical, vocational, or specialist assessments for the client as needed
- Assist with set up and tear down of meeting rooms for Questionings and client meetings as needed
- Work collaboratively with the team to provide assistance and coverage on other client files as necessary
- Filing or other administrative duties as required
What we are looking for
- Strong computer skills, including use of Microsoft Office
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Strong knowledge of Alberta Rules of Court
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, grammar, and spelling
- Accurate and fast dictation transcription
- Must be aligned with the firm’s Core Purpose and Core Values
- Exceptional attention to detail with a high level of accuracy
- Must be adaptable to rapid change and continuous improvement
- Ability to build strong relationships internally and externally as well as handle sensitive client situations that require empathy, tact, and confidentiality
- Strong organization and planning skills
- Works efficiently & with integrity under pressure
- Desire to actively participate and contribute to maintaining a positive office culture
- High level of professionalism, confidentiality and discretion
- Enthusiastic about the office culture
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with a high-volume work load
- This position requires sitting, standing and walking throughout the day including filing
- This position requires the use of a computer throughout the day
Minimum Education and/or Experience:
- Completion of Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate from a recognized institute (SAIT preferred) or equivalent
- High School Diploma
- Experience in Proclaim or similar client management software
- Experience in plaintiff litigation work
- Verbal/written second language skills outside of English
- 3+ years in the legal industry
Anything else you might need to know:
The chosen candidate may be asked to undergo a criminal record check and a basic security clearance.
Please note that a final step in our hiring process is for candidates to arrange personal reference calls with former managers and others we may choose.
We wish to thank all qualified applicants for their interest in joining our winning team however only successful candidates will be contacted. Apply online.